Churrasco Steak and Arugula with Candied Pepper Chimichurri
For the Chimichurri:
½ cup finely minced Candied Red Peppers
¼ cup candied pepper liquid
¼ cup brine-packed capers, rinsed and finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
6 garlic cloves, very finely minced
2 shallots, very finely chopped
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Steaks:
Four 8-ounce skirt steaks
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon plus 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 cups baby arugula 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1. To make the chimichurri, place the candied peppers in a medium bowl with the candied pepper liquid, capers, parsley, cilantro, garlic, and shallots and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is thick and emulsified. Set aside.
2. Prepare a hot charcoal or gas grill.
3. Season both sides of the skirt steaks with 2 tablespoons of the salt and 1 tablespoon of the pepper and set on the grill. Cook without moving until there are grill marks, about 5 minutes. Turn over the steaks and cook the other sides until there are grill marks and the steaks are cooked to your liking, about 3 minutes for medium-rare, 4 minutes for medium, and 5 minutes longer for medium-well. Use tongs to transfer the steaks to a large platter and set aside.
4. While the steaks rest, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the arugula and cherry tomatoes and gently toss to coat.
5. Arrange the 4 pieces of steak on a large platter in a circular shape. Fill the center of the circle with the arugula and tomatoes and serve with the chimichurri on the side.